- Location：Tilburg, Netherlands
- Disciplines and Media：Visual Arts,Architecture,Painting,Sculpture,Curatorial and research,Design,Writing,Music,art critique, art theory, media art, textile
- Residency Period：September – November 2019; February – June 2020 (up to 3 months)
- Grant：By case
- Institution Provide：Live/work Studio with private facilities; Shared kitchen and common residency rooms; Breakfast; High-speed WIFI network; Office facilities and printers; PR activities; Bike on loan
- Paid by artist：Other costs
SEA Foundation’s AiR Tilburg – invites applicants for its 2019/2020 residency program. The residencies are designed for the 21st-century art professional – visual artists, curators and art theorists/writers – whose work and life demands both a rigorous engagement as well as an urgency to propel progress. We believe that the contemporary art practice requires both flexibility as well as stability, a self-directed approach, and a guided environment.
We seek for candidates who envision a solid plan for development and production during their fellowship period and who are willing to participate within the rhythm, the open participative atmosphere and the artistic challenge which propels our artist-led institute. The SEA Foundation’s individual shaped residency program is limited to 8 residents per year.
• To support the production of art and the development of art theory
• To evoke discourse on art and art practices within a local and global context
• To promote and relay critical, researched-based production of art
• To facilitate exchange between art intermediaries and artists, creating an expert network
Based on your project proposal, questions and need for development, we offer a tailor-made programme in a discursive setting and in doing so, fulfill a guiding – and a bridging function. The inclusive character lies in the trinity of hospitality, the ‘art & design infuse’ house and the personable approach. Bespoke mentoring and training up to 4 hours per week are included in the program.
Flexible up to 3 months
• September – November 2019
• February – June 2020
• Live/work Studio with private facilities
• Heating, water, and electricity
• Shared kitchen and common residency rooms
• High-speed WIFI network
• Use of workshop and equipment
• Use of art-related library
• Interaction with local peers and other residents
• Office facilities and printers
• PR activities
• Bike on loan
You have a professional practice
Students cannot apply
Selection and Fellowships
Artistic merit is the basis for selection. All applications will be judged by a panel consisting of SEA Foundation team members complemented by international advisors**. Two selected residents for the 2019-2020 program will be offered a fully funded fellowship which includes access to all facilities, mentoring, a weekly stipend and a production budget.
With the Residence program, that affords opportunities for experimentation to try out new ideas, practices, and strategies, SEA Foundation internationally promotes relevant artistic production, research, and discussion. Residencies are intended for contemporary artists of all disciplines, with specialized training, recognition amongst their peers, and a history of public presentation of their work in a professional context. We expect that residents produce new work or develop their research with some form of a future public outcome, like a public exhibition, lecture, event, workshop or artist’s book in mind.
The curatorial residency program enhances the international curatorial research and discourse in Tilburg and the region Noord-Brabant, reflecting the local art context’s multifaceted landscape. SEA Foundation welcomes applications based on a wide spectrum of curatorial practices, research interests, and professional experiences. Resident curators are provided time and space to develop independent projects. Networking opportunities, including studio visits and meetings with professionals, as well as career guidance are included in the individual visitor program based on interest and professional practice. A public lecture or workshop can be held during the residency. Concepting an event or curating an exhibition within the realm of SEA Foundation and the region is a possible outcome as well.
The – AiR Tilburg – Writer in Residence program facilitates art critics, cultural theorists, as well as research-orientated writers, and poets with an interested in writings connected to arts, such as playwrights and composers.
How to Apply
Go to the Apply Page for more information about the application procedure, carefully read the instructions, and download the appropriate application form