- Location：Fukuoka, Japan
- Disciplines and Media：Visual Arts,Curatorial and research
- Residency Period：2019 May - July, September - November, 2020 January - March
- Institution Provide：Round-trip airfare, accommodation fee, stipend, Art Exchange Program expenses, exhibition cost, travel insurance
- Paid by artist：Other costs
Fukuoka Asian Art Museum invites Asian artists, researchers and/or curators to stay in the museum to engage in various exchange programs with the local community in Fukuoka. Through the residence program, FAAM intends to promote further understanding of Asian arts and cultures, to vitalize local communities, and to be a focal point for exchanging ideas and aesthetics through Asian arts.
The FAAM artist in residency program aims to create a platform through which the artistic activities of invited artists provide various opportunities for the people of Fukuoka to appreciate culture through communicating with the artist and collaborating in their art-making. We believe that such opportunities will promote deeper understanding of Asian culture in Fukuoka.
(1) Number of the artists: 1-3 artists
(2) Residency period: 30-90 days
Between May and July, 2019
Between September and November, 2019
Between January and March, 2020
* Period of residency will be decided according to the proposed project plan and the discussion between FAAM and candidates.
1. Applicant must be a visual artist with sufficient experience in presenting their artwork/project, and should demonstrate their potential in their field.
2. Applicant must be based in and holds a nationality of one of the following countries or regions: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam.
3. Applicant must have sufficient proficiency in Japanese or English sufficient to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed project.
4. Applicant must be in good health, and does not require any special medical attention.
5. Applicant must submit one letter of recommendation written by a responsible person from an art institute or organization.
(4) Major activities during the residency: 1. Collaboration with the people of Fukuoka: The artist must conduct art-making/project/performance that involves the people in Fukuoka, and the process must be open to the public. The artist can use Open Studio and Sculpture Lounge for their art-making. The artwork created during the residency will be exhibited in principle at FAAM.
2. Workshop: The artist must conduct workshop(s) for the people in Fukuoka, including children and/or school students based on the proposed project or the request from the school/community. The workshop will be held at school or FAAM.
(5) Support from FAAM: 1. Round-trip airfare from the international airport nearest to the artist’s home to Fukuoka International Airport.
2. Accommodation fee of the room booked by FAAM.
3. Stipend in the amount set by FAAM.
4. Expenses required for Art Exchange Program (collaborative art-making and workshop with the Fukuoka residents), including material costs and other relating expenses approved by FAAM.
5. Exhibition cost, including printing cost of flyer/leaflet and publication, and installation cost.
6. Travel insurance: Accident insurance: maximum 30 million yen in case of death or disability, and maximum 8 million yen for medical treatment Medical inurance: maximum 30 million yen in case of death or disability, and maximum 8 million yen for medical treatment.
1. In principle, FAAM accepts no family members or assistants to accompany the artist.
2. The artist is required, in principle, not to return to home country or to visit other countries during the period of the residency.
How to apply: (1) Download the application materials: Please download the application forms and recommendation letter form from the FAAM artist in residence website (https://faamresidenceprogram.tumblr.com/application) .
(2) Submit the online application form: Please fill and submit the online application form from the above website.
(3) Send other application materials by email: Please submit the application form (in .docx), the recommendation letter, and other supplemental materials by email (email address will appear upon submitting the online form). The size of all the application material should not exceed 25MB.
Supplemental material: 1) 5 images of artworks created in last 2 years. List Title, Year, Medium/Method, Description of each work in the application form 4, and name each image file in a matching number on form 4. Please do not send large video data. Please upload the data online and write the download link on form 4.
2) Applicant’s portrait