- Location：Indiana, the United States
- Disciplines and Media：Performing Arts,Visual Arts,New Media,Writing,All disciplines welcomeddisciplines welcomed
- Residency Period：4 - 12 weeks
- Grant：500USD Travel Stipend (domestic travels only), 500USD Food Stipend
- Institution Provide：Accommodation, Studio, Special Grant for PlySpace Fellows
- Paid by artist：25-40USD application fee and other costs
PlySpace is an artist-in-residence program dedicated to offering visual artists, writers, performers, designers, and other creative individuals time and space to investigate and pursue their own practices. Additionally, it serves as a platform for experimentation and provocation by catalyzing conversation and collaboration with various Muncie communities. PlySpace facilitates various opportunities for residents to engage with the public through partnership and programming that is tailored to their area of interest.
Each resident will propose a personal project as well as a project to be completed in partnership with a community collaborator. PlySpace will work with both parties to encourage a successful and fulfilling collaboration. For more information on community partners and collaborations, take a look at the Community Collaborators page.
Types of Resident:
Selected residents will be offered one of two types of residency. The type of residency offered will be determined by the Admissions Panel and Final Selection Committee during the admissions process. All residencies include living space in PlySpace and studio space across the street at Madjax, a center for innovation and design.
PlySpace Residents will be offered living quarters, studio amenities, and will be paired with a community collaborator based on their personal and collaborative project proposals and interests. Residents are expected to complete a public talk about their work and complete a project in partnership with their Community Collaborator. Resident Artists will have full access to the PlySpace studio spaces at Madjax as well as limited access to the School of Art (SOA) facilities at Ball State University. They will receive a $500 travel stipend and a $500 food stipend for their residency period, between 4 and 12 weeks.
PlySpace Resident Fellows will be offered living quarters, studio amenities, and will be paired with the Ball State University School of Art as their community collaborator. Resident Fellows are expected to conduct multiple public programs connected to their practice through their partnership with the SOA. Resident Fellows will have access to the SOA facilities necessary to complete their projects as well as the PlySpace studio spaces. Resident Fellows will receive a $1500 stipend provided by PlySpace to be used for travel and living expenses and up to $1000 in funding toward their proposed collaborative project and supplies. Resident Fellows must plan a 9 to 12 week residency stay.
Three individual or collective applicants will be accepted for each residency term (one PlySpace Resident Fellow and two PlySpace Residents).
PlySpace is unique in that part of its mission as a residency program is to connect residents with community partners in order to facilitate collaborative projects that benefit the citizens of Muncie, as well as the residents. There is no better way to do this than to harness the creative disciplines brought to the community by PlySpace residents. Residency applicants should submit a proposal outlining what they might like to do as part of a community collaboration. The proposed collaboration should be something that can be completed within the residency term and will require a minimum commitment of 5-10 hours of time per week during each residency period.
Some residents may have a clear vision of their project, while others may have a loose idea that can come to fruition while in residence. PlySpace will assist the residents in refining their collaboration ideas and connecting them with an appropriate community organization. Please see our Community Collaborations page for more information about the community sectors we work with. The community collaboration can be part of the resident's studio or professional practice, or can be a stand alone project. We are interested in ideas that create conversations, initiate social contemplation or change, and are accessible to the public.
Community collaboration proposals should include at least 2 sector categories selected from the Community Collaborations page that the applicant would be interested in working with for the collaboration. For example, if the applicant wants to work with "humanities and historical societies" or "youth development" organizations, they will indicate this in their proposal. PlySpace will find an appropriate collaboration for the accepted proposals and will work with the resident to connect them to the organization.
Applicants who are selected as PlySpace Resident Fellows will be automatically paired with Ball State University School of Art as their community partner.
Submit one pdf document that includes the following 6 items part of the PlySpace Residency Application. Also submit a portfolio of 10 works, outlined below.
1. Artist statement: 250-500 word statement about work, practice, and motivation.
2. Artist C.V.
3. Professional References: Names and contact information for two professional references.
4. Anticipated Length of Stay: Residents may stay between 4 and 12 weeks during any single term. Please indicate your desired length of stay as well as any specific arrival or departure dates, if necessary.
*for the Spring and Summer 2019 application, please indicate which term you are applying for and what dates you can attend. You may apply for only one term, or both terms simultaneously. If you would like your application to be considered for either term, you can indicate this on your application and include all possible arrival and departure dates. Applicants will only receive one residency (in one term) if accepted.
Example: I would like to apply for the Spring Term and am available March 1 to April 15. I would also like to apply for the Summer Term and am available June 15 to August 15.
5. Personal Project Proposal (up to one page) that outlines:
(1) The personal or collective project you want to work on while at PlySpace;
(2) What facilities, equipment, or other resources are necessary to complete your objective?
6. Community Collaborative Project Proposal (up to one page) that includes:If the content of the personal and collaborative projects overlap, applicants may develop a single proposal that outlines both projects.
(1) Which community collaborator categories are you interested in working with? Why are you interested in this collaboration? For a list of categories, see: Community Collaborators
(2) What would your community collaboration entail?
(3) How much time will you need to spend on your collaboration in order for it to be successful?
(4)nWhat facilities, equipment, or other resources are necessary to complete your community collaboration?
7. Video Image List (one page). This is ONLY required if you are submitting a video(s) for review as part of your portfolio. Please add one page to the pdf document that has the video details and url link where the video can be viewed. This information should mirror the information that is added to the Submittable application form. This separate list helps us send materials to external application reviewers.
Portfolio images, media files, or writing samples are uploaded with the application documents to the submission website. The portfolio should include:
10 images of work or 3 video/media projects or documents or 3 writing samples from the last 5 years.
*Work should reflect the type of work that will be pursued during the residency.