- Location：Tainan, Taiwan
- Disciplines and Media：Performing Arts,Visual Arts,Installation Art,Photography,Interdisciplinary
- Residency Period：1 March 2019 - 20 November 2019. The minimum residence is 45 days and maximum in 90 days per applicant.
- Grant：Living and working expenses: up to NT$ 30,000 per month and presentation expenses: up to NT$ 100,000 (including tax).
- Institution Provide：Free accommodation and studio space.
- Paid by artist：Air fare and transportation
International artists participating in the Residence Program of SAV stay in a vibrant community of artists and have the opportunity to exchange techniques and ideas with other artists; local and
international, emerging and established. Artists live in close proximity to local craftsmen and artisans and are encouraged to take the community and the vibrant local culture as inspiration for
their artworks. The village has professional, wheelchair-accessible, air-conditioned, modern studio spaces, galleries and theatres for exhibitions, workshops and performances.
SAV is a governmental institute, operated by the Cultural Affairs Bureau of Tainan City Government.
Soulangh Cultural Park (http://soulangh.tnc.gov.tw/en/index.php)
No. 130, Liu‐an Village, Jiali District, Tainan City 722, Taiwan
1. Submissions accepted from 02 July 2018
2. Submissions deadline: 16 September 2018, 23:59 (Taiwan time)
3. Examination: October 2018
4. Residency period: 1 March 2019 - 20 November 2019
Each applicant can only be accepted for one term.
The minimum residence is 45 days and maximum in 90 days per applicant.
1 March -31 May 2019
1 June - 31 August 2019
1 September – 20 November 2019
AIR Theme for 2019
SAV takes as its theme the concept of ‘Site-Specific Art’. The artworks should respond to the Soulangh Artist Village’s environment, including the warehouses, corridors, the railway landscape, the children’s museum, and either the indoor or the outdoor spaces. They should also engage with the locality’s natural and historical sites, and with local communities. Any residents’ programs based on outdoor spaces will be considered as a priority.
A. We welcome applicants who are interested in:
2. Visual arts
B. We especially encourage artists dedicated to the environment, children’s art education or community engagement, to use their speciality to develop a resident program on the theme of ‘site-specific' art.
C. We welcome artists interested in photography and research into the photographic history of Tainan city.
D. All applicants must be able to communicate in either English or Chinese.
How to apply
We only accept online applications. Please click on the following link:
http://air-culture.tainan.gov.tw/ and fill out the application before the deadline (listed above).
A. Applicants will be examined by the jury committee and successful candidate will be partly subsidized.
B. The jury committee is scheduled to meet in October 2018.
C. The results will be announced on the official website (http://soulangh.tnc.gov.tw/) and emailed to the successful candidates by October 2018.
Program Provisions and Requirements
Applicants should agree with the following requirements before submitting their applications.
Program Provisions - what do we offer?
1. Placements of up to three months with free accommodation and studio space.
2. Living and working expenses in Taiwan (including personal income-tax and insurance) - partly subsidized (NT$ 30,000 per month maximum). The total amount will be paid in two instalments. Artists will receive payment directly, excluding any tax. Since 2016, the government has announced that all terms of the contract should include stamp-tax, which is one-thousandth of the total amount. The stamp-tax should be paid in cash by the artists themselves, and this is excluded from the subsidy.
3. Presentation expenses - The maximum allocation is NT$ 100,000 (including tax), which will be paid directly to the relevant contractors. The above expenses include: providing a service or materials used in completing workshops, exhibitions and performances, brochure design and printing, dissemination, and expenses for a press conference. Any transportation fees for works are excluded.
4. Administrative support.
※If you have any enquiries about the subsidy, you should notify SAV during the application process or before signing the contract.
Program Requirements - applicants’ responsibilities
1. During the residency, the selected applicants should provide one type of presentation, such as an exhibition or a performance. If you would like to hold a workshop as well, this would be highly welcomed.
2. Approaching the end of the residency, the successful applicants are required to complete a report and questionnaire. The report should include details of the residents’ experience, the progress of the project and any relevant feedback.
For any further information, please contact us:
T: (+886) 6 722 8488 / 6 722 9910
F: (+886) 6 723 6973
AIR in Tainan: http://air-culture.tainan.gov.tw