- Location：Hanoi, Vietnam
- Disciplines and Media：N.A
- Residency Period：2019.April.1 - Jun.30 & 2019.Oct.1 - Dec.31 (minimum of 1 month)
- Institution Provide：accommodation, studio, administrative assistance, exhibition opportunities
- Paid by artist：application fee (5 Euro), residency fee (150-200 USD/per month)
The live.make.share program is developed from Hanoi, Vietnam, under the umbrella of Undecided Productions & in collaboration with Hien Van Ceramics. We create studio & living spaces to welcome foreign artists & art managers. We also explore opportunities for Vietnamese artists to travel internationally & inter-regionally with their projects.
The program focuses on three main objectives; creating an environment for professional, personal and community development, assisting the production of artistic projects and encouraging the exchange of knowledge.
Our vision is to facilitate the dissemination of Vietnamese culture whilst nourishing the creative ecology with exterior knowledge, allowing for new perspectives globally.
Support - seeking to support the community through educational and professional development opportunities. We wish to integrate socially implicated projects that respond to the needs of each context.
Open dialogue - encouraging open dialogue on personal, professional & public levels we hope to highlight the capacity of positive change through cultural exchange. As visiting residents are to be informed of the surrounding cultural context we simultaneously wish to learn from their heritage of experiences and background.
Inclusion - based on the belief that everyone has the capacity to create positive change, we aim to consider all project proposals with a zero-discrimination policy. We consider applicants from all geographical, social, political, backgrounds and across all creative professions.
The live.make.share program concerns contemporary artists, cultural organisers, writers & researchers. Though open to all forms of artistic production priority is given to projects in the fields of visual arts, contemporary dance and performance, music and writing. The welcoming of cultural organisers and researchers is also a main objective.
Residents have access to three main buildings:
● The Zolinh House, a traditional style Vietnamese house owned by painter Mr. Bui Hoai Linh can easily accommodate up to 10 people & also includes small working spaces & a wide garden area.
● The Factory, is a 1000m2 production space & the main studio of Hien Van Ceramics. The studio produces ceramics inspired by Vietnamese design from the 11th century, including Ly, Tran, Le & Mac dynasties to produce contemporary works for households or bespoke architecture projects.
● The museum, is a double story exhibition space destined to become a gallery of traditional painting though is currently used as a large open space studio. The space is equipped with basic art production materials and can be arranged however the artist needs.
The selection process is in two phases. Firstly the written applications are revised by live.make.share management with input from exterior cultural managers. If selected, the applicant will be asked for an online interview to discuss details of their project.
Applications are reviewed based on:
● Perceived capacity of the applicant to communicate effectively with fellow residents, management staff and community
● Impact of activities and outcome of the proposed residency period
● The capacity of the residency to accomplish the production of the proposed project
● Relevance to the applicants future professional goals
● Quality of work as demonstrated by the applicant and the support material provided
● Potential for collaboration onsite and in the future
● Relevance to our aims and objectives
● Relevant past professional experiences
18 Nov: Deadline for application submissions Application reviews
19-25 Nov: Latest date for phase two applicants announced Interview period
26 Nov: Final application review
27-30 Nov 1-3 Dec: Residents announced
5 Dec April/May/Jun: Cycle#2 residents welcomed to live.make.share
Costs for the 2019 residency cycles are currently under review. They are also on a case by case basis depending on the artists projects, timeframe & resource necessities.
As a benchmark the fees for 2018 were 150 - 200 USD per month (depending on room size) & 400 - 500 USD for the three months.