- Location：Fukuoka, Japan
- Disciplines and Media：Visual Arts
- Residency Period：45-90 days during May to August 2018, September to December 2018, or January to March 2019
- Grant：Stipend in the amount set by FAAM, expenses required for Art Exchange Program, exhibition cost, travel insurance
- Institution Provide：Round-trip airfare, accommodation fee of the room booked by FAAM
- Paid by artist：N/A
1. Program Goal
The FAAM artist in residency program aims to create a platform through which the artistic activities of invited artists provide various opportunities for the people of Fukuoka to appreciate culture through communicating with the artist and collaborating in their art-making. We believe that such opportunities will promote deeper understanding of Asian culture in Fukuoka.
2. Program Outline
(1) Number of the artists 1-3 artists
(2) Residency period 45-90 days
1) Between May and August, 2018
2) Between September and December, 2018
3) Between January and March 2019 * Period of residency will be decided according to the proposed project plan and the discussion between FAAM and candidates.
1) Applicant must be a visual artist with sufficient experience in presenting their artwork/project, and should demonstrate their potential in their field.
2) Applicant must be based in and holds a nationality of one of the following countries or regions. [ countries and regions ] Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Korea, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam
3) Applicant must have sufficient proficiency in Japanese or English sufficient to communicate with the people and to carry out the proposed project.
4) Applicant must be in good health, and does not require any special medical attention.
5) Applicant must submit one letter of recommendation written by a responsible person from an art institute or organization.
(4) Major activities during the residency
1) Collaboration with the people of Fukuoka The artist must conduct art-making/project/performance that involves the people in Fukuoka, and the process must be open to the public. The artist can use Open Studio and Sculpture Lounge for their art-making. The artwork created during the residency will be exhibited in principle at FAAM. Application Guidelines (Artist) 2018
2) Workshop The artist must conduct workshop(s) for the people in Fukuoka, including children and/or school students based on the proposed project or the request from the school/community. The workshop will be held at school or FAAM.
(5) Support from FAAM
1) Round-trip airfare from the international airport nearest to the artist’s home to Fukuoka International Airport
2) Accommodation fee of the room booked by FAAM
3) Stipend in the amount set by FAAM
4) Expenses required for Art Exchange Program (collaborative art-making and workshop with the Fukuoka residents), including material costs and other relating expenses approved by FAAM
5) Exhibition cost, including printing cost of flyer/leaflet and publication, and installation cost
6) Travel insurance Accident insurance: maximum 30 million yen in case of death or disability, and maximum 8 million yen for medical treatment Medical insurance: maximum 30 million yen in case of death or disability, and maximum 8 million yen for medical treatment
1) In principle, FAAM accepts no family members or assistants to accompany the artist.
2) The artist is required, in principle, not to return to home country or to visit other countries during the period of the residency.
3. How to apply
(1) Application material
1) Application form 1-5 must be completed in Japanese or English, and must be sent by registered post or courier service. Please save the form (in .docx file) on CD-R, and send it along with the printed hard-copy of the form. *Submission by fax or by email will NOT be accepted.
2) Supplemental material 5 images of artworks created in last 2 years in a form of print, slide, or digital (in CD-R). Video and DVD is also accepted. List Title, Year, Medium/Method, Description of each work in the application form 5, and name each image file in a matching number on the form 5.
3) 1 letter of recommendation (Application form 6) written by a responsible person from an art institute or organization. The letter must be written in English or Japanese and signed by the recommender. * All the application materials will NOT be returned.
(2) Address to submit the materials Art Exchange Program Curatorial Office, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum 8F of the Riverain Center Bldg., 3-1 Shimokawabata-machi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka City, 812-0027, Japan Application Guidelines (Artist) 2018
4. Application period 20 September to 20 November 2017 * All the application materials should arrive before 20 December 2016
5. Selection process The FAAM Selection Board of the Artists in Residence Program will select the successful candidates. Results will be announced on the FAAM website by the beginning of February 2018. The successful candidates will be notified directly by FAAM. * No inquiries regarding the selection procedure will be answered
6. For more information: Art Exchange Program Curatorial Office, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum URL:// faam.city.fukuoka.lg.jp/ Email: email@example.com.
7. Please find the attachment for application forms.