- Date established：2016
- Country：Asia - Taiwan
- Type of Organization：Part of a Gov. Institution
- Disciplines and Media：All types
- Contact information：
- Name of residency：Sianguang 2nd Village Artists-in-Residence Project
- Address：Lane 138, Datong Road, Gui-shan District, Taiyuan City, Taiwan
Sianguang 2nd Village Facebook Page
Sianguang 2nd Village is the only residential cluster for Taiwan’s military police. It was registered as the historical building of Taoyuan City in 2006 and was known as part of the “golden triangle” of Taoyuan’s military dependents’ village with Zhongli’s Mazu New Village and Daxi’s Taiwu New Village. Located at the Guishan District, this village was named Guilun-She in early times and has seen the coming of different residents from Fujian, Hakka and various provinces of China, as well as indigenous peoples and modern immigrants. Now, it also hosts the migrant workers and other communities that volumes up the population and enriches the cultures developed in the area.
With the change of ears and pressures from renewing the obsolete military dependent’s villages, Sianguang 2nd Village had faced a period of abandonment since all the original residents were forced to move out from the village in 2006. Therefore, a residential project was initiated by the Bureau of Culture of Taoyuan City government in 2016, which is aimed to discover the stories of the area with the spirit of community building, in hope of establishing a museum of immigration in the future.
This project seeks to manage the village with the AIR program, providing artists a place for creation while the village is also benefitted from the artist works through the communication between the residents. The works are expected to interpret the history of the diversified groups ever resided in the village without damaging the look of the historical buildings.
The artworks of the AIR program should:
1. Possesses the character of “community building”, with plans that connect local schools.
2. Uses the information of “Sianguang 2nd Village” as the inspiration of creation.
3. Applies artistic approach to the history and life of the village.
- Duration of residencies： More than 3 months
- Number of artists resident at one time： 5 individuals or groups of artist
- Grants available： Materieal Fee,Free Working Space,provides simple cleaning of the space and NTD 1,000,000 as subsidy
- Expenses paid by artist： Other expenses
- Application： Mail paper copy of the application form to the Chicken Farm Art Association (33379, No. 521, Zhong-keng Street, Guishan District, Taoyuan City), and email the electronic copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selection procedure： By selection of the Bureau of Culture, Taoyuan City Government.
- Expectation from the artists：
1. Complete at least 1 art work in the residential period, and participate in the exhibition at the end of the program.
2. Participate 3 communication activities held at the art space on the ground floor. All forms are welcomed (to share the results of, or thoughts on, the AIR program).
- Presentation of artists' work： Hold 1 presentation of the results from the AIR program. All forms are welcomed, but it has to be planned with the principle of interaction for visitors to view, to access or to experience.
- Setting： Suburb
- Working Language： English,Mandarin
- Resources： Every apartment encompasses 3 rooms, 1 kitchen, 1 living room, and each apartment has about 77㎡. The ground floor is an art gallery, and there are 4 apartments situated on the second and the third floors for artists to apply.
- Number of studios： 12
- Facilities： Hot/cold water, electricity, locks.
- Size of studios / Type of Sudios ： N.A / Private Studio,Shared Studio
- Accommodation： The residential area is not suitable for living.
- Companions allowed： No
- Nearest international airport： Taoyuan International Airport (TPE)
- Nearest local airport： Taipei Songshan Airport (TSA)
- Nearest train station： Taoyuan Station
- By Car： N.A
- Images Resource：Sianguang 2nd Village